The Great Cleanup – Chicken Coop Restoration Part 2

March 4, 2017 at 8:01 pm

Welcome to Part 2 of the Coop Restoration series. In this post, I’ll go over the cleanup that I did this past weekend. The coop started out in rough shape. There were rolls of old insulation, mouse nests, mold… It had been used as a storage space for transient garbage for years. Below are some pictures after I pulled out the worst of the insulation. You can see some of the nest in the back left corner behind the cabinets and dog crate.

Once the big items were moved, sorted, and mostly thrown in the garbage, I did a preliminary sweep up. Turns out that half of the coop has unfinished hardwood floors! Bonus! After inspecting the chicken wire, I saw lots of rust, holes, and filth. There was no way to clean and reinforce it, so off it came. I also pulled off the old roosts and low panels as well.

I debated pulling out the old flooring and walls, but there’s only so much I can do in two weeks. The plan right now will be to disinfect them thoroughly, and lay some washable hardboard over them. This is the same material that I’ll be using for the lower two feet of wall as it’s easily cleanable and a great draft blocker.

After another sweep up, and vacuum, the place looked a lot better. The door was in pretty good shape, so that got left in place. I may have to pull it in the long run, though, as it currently swings inward and the wife and I are thinking about deep litter, but that’s an easy change at a later date.

Next up, in part 3: Framing and Re-Chicken-Wiring the coop!